So… I am now a bonefide hippie. Well, me-two-years-ago would call me-now a hippie. Why? For several reasons, but mainly because I have started a love affair with coconut oil. (If you follow me on Pinterest this may not surprise you.) I have a jar of it in my bathroom cabinet and on my son’s changing table. I made my own deodorant with it and I store it in my fridge! I cook with it! I use it as a hair conditioning treatment! I use it to fight Alzheimer’s! I am one day going to use coconut oil to RULE THE WORLD!!!!
OK, that last part is a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the gist of my obsession. Some of you may have discovered coconut oil decades ago and are thinking, “um, DUH, Sue, get with the program!” To you I say, “Congratulations! You can stop reading now.”
But to all you other people whose children’s bottoms aren’t being wiped clean with DIY-made-with-coconut-oil wipes, read on!
Here’s the [ahem] bottom line: coconut oil is a superfood. Here are just a few of its proven health benefits:
- coconut oil is antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal, thus making it a great base for ointments and wipes.
- coconut oil contains several different types of natural medium-chain-fatty acids (MCFAs), including one that is found in prescription medication for Alzheimer’s. These MCFAs are also known to promote weight loss.
- coconut oil has been shown to increase metabolism
- coconut oil’s naturally present vitamin E and antioxidant properties make it useful for treating scrapes and mild burns.
- coconut oil has been shown to boost thyroid function, boost your immune system, promote healthy blood sugar levels and improve overall cholesterol levels.
These are just a few of the uses! As I mentioned before, while on a seemingly impossible quest for a natural-but-effective deodorant (I think I tried every brand Sprouts offered…), in a last-ditch-effort I made my own deodorant with coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch. (I used this recipe). And here’s the kicker: MY HUSBAND SAYS IT’S SO EFFECTIVE THAT HE’S AGREED TO USE IT!!!!
If you haven’t jumped onto this bandwagon, I recommend it! I love knowing that I have replaced so many chemically-laden products (baby oil, anti-aging cream, deodorant, to name a few) in our home with this natural substance.
Do you use coconut oil? I’d love to hear about any good recipes and uses!